5/04/2011

Faith and Reason

I have a question that's going to seem contentious and condescending. It's not consciously meant to be that way though. It has been wiggling around in my brain for over a week now.
First a little background. I downloaded two Christian podcasts based off of a sought out recommendation. The first one is called 'Fighting for the Faith', and the second is 'Table Talk Radio'. They are both Lutheran based podcasts. I sought them out mainly to try and find some well thought out and contrary views to my own. Mainly just to keep challenging myself and to not always listen/read viewpoints that align with my own. I've only listened to a couple of episodes, they're not very well thought out, but they are contrary. I also am listening to the oldest ones first, so I'm not gonna give up on them yet. I can't remember which one, but one of them basically said Reason needs to be subservient to Faith. That it can't be trusted if it contradicts what one reads in the Bible. I found this a little odd, wondering what mental gymnastics they accomplished to reach that conclusion without 'reasoning' their way into it. It's like the silliness that says you don't interpret the Bible, you just read it. Now to my question. What's separates being a Lutheran from a cult, or cult-like thinking at least? I'm picking on the Lutherans specifically because of Luther's quotes about reason and it's relation to faith. When I think of a cult, I think of a group that doesn't like questions, or critical examination of it's beliefs. The underlining thought is that if you, or an idea, is contrary to the groups beliefs, the groups beliefs can never be wrong. Therefore it's you and the reasoning that got you there that has to be wrong. In this case the 'group' is the Bible. I don't think it's just the Lutherans that do this. It's probably the type of thinking that leads William Craig to argue the way he does.
Am I way off on this? Can one be a critical thinker and have religious faith? How do the people out there mash the two together for themselves?
I found a site called The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy when doing some searching on this subject. It had a entry on Martin Luther and an entry on Faith and Reason. People might find that interesting reading for more background.
Cheers,
Scott
PS - Full disclosure, my Mennonite heritage makes me predisposed not to like Luther, or his intellectual descendants, though everyone's all ecumenical nowadays. Can one have intellectual descendants when one dislikes Reason?
PPS - I'm still looking for more podcasts to give me different religious perspectives. I just ask they are not scientifically illiterate. Recommendations welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment