7/07/2010

Knowledge is preferable to ignorance

If I could choose to meet anyone I wanted from the last 100 years, living or dead, my first choice would be Carl Sagan. I have yet to come across a quote or interview I have not thoroughly enjoyed. I think it's time to have a Cosmos party.
The second would probably be Tolkien.
Who would you choose?



I love the quote at the end of that video.
"The significance of our lives and our fragile planet is then determined only by our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life's meaning. We long for a Parent to care for us, to forgive us our errors, to save us from our childish mistakes. But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal."
Carl Sagan - "A Pale Blue Dot"
Cheers,
Scott

2 comments:

  1. What is YOUR worthy goal, my good friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question, and something to think about. One of the reasons I like Sagan. Wish you were in town, and we could have some beer and discuss it.
    I think I have a few worthy goals, but I don't crave "some cosmic purpose". I think increased knowledge is a worthy goal, leaving the things better than when you found them. I've recently listened to some podcasts on free will and determinism and it's left me thinking more compassion is a good idea.
    http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/2009/01/episode-29-free-willy-vs-determinator.html
    Anyways, I'm going to give the question some more thought.

    ReplyDelete