12/20/2009

High Voltage Cattle Prod

I had an impulse purchase at Chapters the other week. It was a book called, "What We Believe But Cannot Prove; Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the age of Certainty". I was shopping for other people, but the price was right and it seemed interesting. The entries vary in length and tone, but I'm going to reproduce the one that induced the purchase.

"Seth Lloyd"
"Seth Lloyd is a quantum mechanical engineer and a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he specializes in the design of quantum computers and quantum communications systems. He is the author of Programming the Universe."

"I believe in science. Unlike mathematical theorems, scientific results can't be proved. They can only be tested again and again until only a fool would refuse to believe them.
I cannot prove that electrons exist, but I believe fervently in their existence. And if you don't believe in them, I have a high-voltage cattle prod I'm willing to apply as an argument on their behalf. Electrons speak for themselves."

The "high-voltage cattle prod" line made me laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment